Cancer Research UK, the world’s leading cancer charity is dedicated to saving lives through research. They don’t receive any government funding for their work, so their progress is all thanks to the support of people like you.
Marie Curie provides expert care, guidance and support for people living with any terminal illness, and their families. Around 2,100 Marie Curie Nurses work day and night, in people’s homes all over the UK, providing hands-on care to people when they need it most.
Don’t forget, if you fundraise £100+ through your JustGiving page, you will receive an exclusive Open Water Swimathon 2019 t-shirt.
How Your Money Helps
The money you raise from your Open Water Swimathon challenge will aid both charities, here’s how your money can help:
|Cancer Research UK||Marie Curie|
|£30 will cover the cost of running a cervical cancer trial for 1 day.||£35 pays for a slide sheet, used by Marie Curie Nurses to move people with a terminal illness safely in bed.|
|£100 covers the cost of giving one patient the Cytosponge test and analysing their results in the lab to diagnose early stages of oesophageal cancer.||£180 pays for a Marie Curie Nurse’s nine-hour shift in a patient’s home through the night.|
|£270 covers the cost of a trial for a day to find the best treatment for children with a rare type of leukaemia, whose cancer has come back after treatment.||£260 will cover the cost of two day-therapy sessions for a patient at a Marie Curie Hospice.|
|£400 is the cost of running Cancer Chat for one day helping thousands of people through very difficult times.||£435 pays for someone with a terminal illness to stay in a Marie Curie Hospice for 24 hours, so they can receive the hands-on care they need in their final days.|
Set Up Your JustGiving Page
If you have registered but didn’t set up your JustGiving page, you can set up yours now by firstly logging into your swimmer profile area. Follow the below steps to set up your JustGiving page.
- Log in to your Open Water Swimathon profile area
- Select 'Fundraising' on the menu on the left-hand side
- Enter your giving page name and URL (the bit that will follow www.JustGiving.com/OpenWaterSwimathon2019...), do not use any spaces or punctuation when creating your URL
- If you receive an error message stating the ‘URL is unavailable’ this means it has already been taken, please try again with a more unique name
- You will then automatically be sent to the JustGiving website to either login to your account (if you already have one) or create a JustGiving account
- Once authorised, you will head back to the Open Water Swimathon website to complete your registration
- Then you're done and ready to start sharing your JustGiving page!